Cooking on a budget means your dish has to be simple. However a simple dish is by no means a boring one. Inspired by my recent trip to Rome, I noticed that delicious food can be really simple. Therefore I decided to make a Spicy Bacon Pasta. If you happen to have the optional ingredients at home, feel free to use it for an even better flavor. Here’s how I made it:
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 200g Rigato Pasta €0.76
- 150g Bacon cubes/strips €1.28
- 6 Cherry Tomatoes €0.86
- 70g Tomato Puree €0.10
- 2 Chili’s €0.99
- (Optional) 3 cloves of Garlic
- (Optional) A pinch of Thyme
- (Optional) Salt and Pepper
Total Cost €3.99
- Fill a pan halfway with water and a dash of olive oil and turn on the heat. Once the water begins to boil, add the pasta and continue to boil for 13 minutes. After 13 minutes remove the water from the pasta.
- Chop the chilies into thin slices and finely chop the garlic (if available). Add both to a hot pan with olive oil. Let it sizzle for half a minute and then add the bacon. When the bacon is cooked, add the tomato puree along with the thyme and a sprinkle of salt and pepper (if available).
- Finally, slice the cherry tomatoes in half and add to the sauce. Stir everything nicely up and serve on top of the pasta.
Enjoy your meal!
Written by Piet